Kansas Adjutant General's Department
Substance Abuse Program

Kansas Substance Abuse Program

The mission of the Kansas Substance Abuse Program (SAP) is to increase the readiness and resiliency of Soldiers and Families through:

  • Education and Training- Provide prevention education and training to Soldiers and command.

  • Early Identification- Assist in identification of users through drug testing, medical evaluation, screening, investigation, apprehension or self-referral.

  • Risk Reduction- Compile, analyze, and assess behavioral risks to identify trends and units with high-risk profiles. Provide methods to eliminate or mitigate risks.

  • Deterrence- Help units initiate smart testing and advise Soldiers of command policies.

  • Screening and Self-Assessment- Provide screening and self-assessment tools to Soldiers to evaluate their own risk.

  • Rehabilitation- SAP is not a treatment provider, but helps Soldiers find approved treatment facilities around where they live to ensure successful completion of rehab.

  • Targeted Intervention- Provide educational and motivational programs which focus on the adverse effects and consequences of alcohol and other drug abuse.




Keeping Yourself at a Low Risk

The effects of unhealthy and unsafe alcohol and drug use have a far-reaching implication for the individual, family, workplace, community, and the healthcare system. Substance use, including under-age drinking and improper use of prescription or over-the-counter drugs, also adversely affects the readiness of the Kansas Army National Guard as well. Therefore, if you make the personal decision to drink, you areresponsible to do so in a low-risk manner. This includes understanding the definition of a standard drink, as well as the 0-1-2-3 low-risk guidelines.

If you find that your substance use falls outside of the low-risk guidelines, your behaviors are considered At-risk. For those who fall into this category your substance use may contribute to poor decision making and long-term health problems, to include substance use problems (i.e. binge drinking) and disorders (i.e. alcoholism). A few questions that you can ask yourself to measure your level of dependency are:

  • Do you use the substance in larger amounts or for longer than you meant to?
  • Do you desire to cut down or stop using the substance but can’t manage to?
  • Do you spend a lot of time and energy getting, using or recovering from the substance?
  • Do you often have cravings and urges to use the substance?
  • Is your use interfering with your school, job or home life?
  • Do you continue to use, even when it causes problems in relationships?
  • Do you give up on social, occupational or relational activities because of use?
  • Do you use the substance again and again, even when it puts you in danger?
  • Do you use even if you have a physical or psychological problem that is made worse?
  • Do you need more of the substance to get the effect you want (Tolerance)?
  • Do you have withdrawal symptoms which are relieved by taking more of the substance?

If you answered YES to 6 or more of these questions it could mean that you struggle in the area of substance use. While this is in no way intended to be a medical diagnosis, it does act as a guideline to assist in your own personal evaluation. If you feel that you need help in this area, the Substance Abuse Program (SAP) office wants you to know Help is within Reach. Participation in the Substance Abuse Program is outlined in AR 600-85 and in some instances protects a soldier from disciplinary actions as a result of substance abuse if they “self-refer” themselves to their command. If you think you have a substance abuse problem, know someone who does, or have any questions please contact the Substance Abuse Program office immediately.


Contact the Substance Abuse Program

Michael Swisher - Alcohol and Drug Control Officer

Dan Woods - Substance Abuse Prevention Coordinator


 Facebook Twitter Page  

Emergency Information

Click here for emergency preparedness information, safety awareness information and general information about severe weather and other potential emergencies that Kansans should be prepared for.

For information provided by Kansas Division of Emergency Management, click here.

For information provided by Kansas Homeland Security, click here.


Questions/suggestions to: Public Affairs Director